What is Art Therapy?
Art therapy is a form of expressive therapy that uses the creative process of making art to improve a person’s physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
Art therapy can achieve different things for different people. It can be used for counseling by therapists, healing, treatment, rehabilitation, psychotherapy, and in the broad sense of the term, it can be used to massage one’s inner-self in a way that may provide the individual with a deeper understanding of him or herself.
How does Art Therapy help?
The versatility of art therapy makes it accessible to a range of different people. It can be particularly beneficial to those who have tried other forms of talking therapy and found it difficult to express themselves.
Art therapy tends to look at issues in a different way and can help participants to tap into emotions that have previously been buried or ignored. Many people also say that with art therapy they feel as if they have a greater sense of control and choice when compared to other talking therapies.
The following groups of people are thought to benefit particularly from art therapy:
- Those with mental health problems – Art therapy is recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) as a treatment for schizophrenia and related conditions.
- Those with learning difficulties – Art as therapy can be helpful to those who may not be able to verbalise what they feel clearly.
- Those on the autistic spectrum – Art therapy can help to improve communication skills and offers an easy way for participants to express themselves.
- Those in the justice system – Art therapists often work in prisons to help offenders deal with their feelings in a healthy way.
- Those with dementia – Tapping into the creative part of the brain helps to lower stress levels and restore a sense of personal identity.
- Those with a chronic/terminal illness – This type of therapy can help patients regain a sense of control, freedom and self-expression.
- Anyone who finds it difficult to talk about their feelings or feels distanced from their emotions.
The program is highly-tailored according to the needs of individuals as well as the organisation. For details please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or enter your details below.
*Both individual and group services are offered in Delhi NCR.